Friday, March 11, 2011

How Do I Love Thee?

  I just felt the need to give a quick shout-out to my favorite month of the year. March. It really is the best month. And no, it is not just because it happens to be the month my birthday is in. (Although that didn't hurt its chances of earning the spot as my favorite) March is the perfect month. Now I know many of you might disagree with me, claiming the inconsistent weather to be your reason. But really, I'm right. I will show you.

     March is when the world begins to thaw. (at least in our part of the world). The snow starts to melt, you can see the ground again, and the sun actually provides warmth, instead of just light. So there may be other months of the year that are more fun to be outside in, but March is delightful. I'll tell you why. When July comes around and its so hot and you can go swimming and camping and have those long, lazy summer nights, that is wonderful. Don't get me wrong, I love summer. But also, once July comes around--or even June or May or September or August or... you get the point-- you are used to the warmth. You expect the warmth. You would be shocked and angry if it snowed. So you kind of take the warmth and fun for granted. Not so with March. With March, every day is a discovery. You find more and more places where the grass is showing. Crocuses are growing!!!!! Those are FLOWERS. The first flowers to push through the cold ground show up. And so you are excited about them. Very excited (once June comes around, you enjoy the flowers, but it isn't that shocking delight to find color all around you). It might snow one day in March, but guess what, the next day it melts! It doesn't stay around. And so you find you have hope for warmer weather. In March you appreciate everything that is going to be coming. You don't take it for granted because you have just spent 6 months lost in a white and brown -25 degree world. Suddenly there is warmth, light (the sunlight is lasting longer), color, grass, and the trees have hints of leaves. 
      And so, my final point is that March = hope for summer. That is why March is so great. You find happiness in the little things, instead of ignoring them and assuming they will always be there for you. Once you make it to March, you've learned those little things like green trees won't always be there for you. So you find pure enjoyment in opening the window, smelling spring on the air, and wearing simply a jacket to class.
      Okay, so at least thats how I feel when March comes around. In the summer I find myself taking for granted the long hot days and the beautiful green grass, trees, and colorful flowers. But when March comes, those are the things that make my life beautiful and exciting. Even when all I can see of the grass is a brown, marshy mess, I know whats coming and I'm grateful. 
Happy March everyone!
Oh and please where green on St. Patrick's Day. It's just so fun to do!

1 comment:

  1. I can agree with you about March. It is very hopeful to have it be warm enough to go outside and sit on the grass and enjoy sunlight. And not have snow in sight. And I think you meant wear green. not where green. :)(not that it really matters. it's just that you always spell things right so it's uncharacteristic of you to mix up the wear this time) and this is krista, not aaron. aaron's already signed in so i just went with his name.

    ReplyDelete